The North’s Museum of Art, Fashion & Design
Housing outstanding collections of European fine and decorative art
Access for All
Park & Gardens
Groups & Coaches
Meet and Celebrate
Barnard Castle Holiday Club
Art History Spring Course
Jobs & Volunteering
Explore The Collection
Research & Scholarship
Library & Archive
Families & Young People
How Your Support Helps
Friends of The Bowes Museum
The Friends' Committee
History of the Friends
Schedule of Events
Celebration Of Local Produce At The Bowes Museum’s Summer Market!
This year’s annual Summer Market takes place in the beautiful grounds of The Bowes Museum on Sunday 28 June from 10.00 – 4.00.
A celebration of local foods and crafts, this free event will feature a wide range of stalls offering some of the best examples in the North East. Choose from a hand-picked selection of affordable stylish gifts including original art, jewellery, ceramics, soaps and photography.
And who could resist the mouth-watering fare on offer amongst the array of tempting
cakes, chocolates, ale, fudge, cheese, gin, sausages, ice cream, barbecue food, plus pizza from a wood fired oven.
Rosie Bradford, the Museum’s Events Officer, said: “The Summer Market is a wonderful opportunity to shop for unique products directly from the people who make them. Bring your friends and family, visit the vintage ice cream van and the children’s play area for a great day out.”
During the day the Museum’s acclaimed Café Bowes, which is free to access, will be serving delicious food. Access to the Museum Shop is also free of charge.
While visiting the market why not take the opportunity to step inside the Museum and enjoy the current family friendly exhibition
. A full programme of events and exhibitions is available by calling 01833 690606 or by
The Bowes Museum
• The Bowes Museum was created over 100 years ago by an extraordinary couple, John and Joséphine Bowes. Together they built up the greatest private collection of fine and decorative arts in the North of England and constructed a magnificent building to house them in. The collection contains thousands of objects including furniture, paintings, sculpture, ceramics, textiles and many other items covering an extensive range of European styles and periods.
• The Bowes Museum receives a core funding grant from Durham County Council and as a Major Portfolio Museum, receives support from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport through the Arts Council England’s Renaissance programme. Additional revenue funding specifically for the Museum’s acclaimed exhibition programme is provided by The John Ellerman Foundation and The Friends of The Bowes Museum.
• The Bowes Museum has recently undergone major redevelopment. This work was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, One NorthEast through the County Durham Economic Partnership, English Heritage, Northern Rock Foundation, The Monument Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, The Foyle Foundation, The European Regional Development Fund, DCMS/Wolfson Museum and Galleries Improvement Fund, Designation Challenge Fund, The Shears Foundation, The Richard and Suzanna Tonks Family Fund at County Durham Foundation, Durham County Council, The Friends of The Bowes Museum, The Headley Trust, Sir James Knott Trust, Catherine Cookson Charitable Trust, Fenwick Ltd, Mercers Charitable Foundation, Welton Foundation.
• Normal admission to the Museum: Adults £9.50, Concessions £8.50, Students £5.00, Six Month Pass £14.00, Children Free (under 16s). Admission allows access to all exhibitions, permanent displays and some events. Admissions are donation inclusive and are eligible for Gift Aid. If you do not wish to make a charitable donation admission prices are: Adults £8.50, Concessions £7.70, Six Month Pass £12.50, Children (under 16) and carers free.
• The Bowes Museum is a member of the Discover Durham partnership of attractions. Our commitment is to promote Durham as an exciting and vibrant group travel destination and to provide the travel trade with a professional and knowledgeable service: hotline number 0191 301 8531, www.discoverdurham.co.uk